Monday, August 8, 2011

My Ramblings on Marriage

This weekend my husband and I were having some discussions about some upcoming events that we would like to plan for. We follow a pretty strict budget so anytime we are going to take trips or attend events we usually plan way ahead in order to budget accordingly. Anywho these discussions got me thinking about our marriage and what our marriage means to me and what I hope for others in their marriages or relationships.



By no means am I an expert in marriage, but there are certain things I treasure out of our relationship that I know make ours successful. In our discussions about upcoming events I was just amazed at how we are on the same page about most things and even for the things we aren't, we know how to discuss it and come to an agreement.
We balance each other, I'm not going to say perfectly because I still question if perfection exists, but we do balance each other out in healthy ways. I know that what may work for us may not work for others but in certain situations around me there are some things that I question:

Why do people, usually females, think that they can change a person?
  I mean change is going to happen but that is the whole point. You should marry someone who you know you are comfortable with, who you can look forward to changing and evolving and growing with. Why do some people enter into a marriage with something they don't like about their partner hoping that overtime it will change or go away?

Why do people enter into a marriage not having all the financial details sorted out?
Money should not define happiness but it sure is a huge deal in a relationship. The discussions need to be made about what is going to take place- seperate or joint accounts? does one plan to return to school or change careers in the future? does the wife expect to be able to stay home once children come along? I see so many instances where the financial part was just an after thought.


Why don't people realize that when you marry someone, you are also marrying their family? If you have major issues with your partner's family they will only become magnified with marriage. Family is family- that means holidays, birthdays, children being born, other special occasions are all going to include family. You do not necessarily have to agree with and like your partner's family but you have to accept them.

Again I am no expert but it seems like these situations arise  and I just don't get it. My brother and sister think I simply got lucky with my husband, but I like to think that we were just supposed to be together. Don't get me wrong, we have disagreements, fights, arguments but we know to always look at the big picture and find a way to meet in the middle. We know how to fight and to be fair and have no problem telling each other when we are being crazy.  I am thankful that I was blessed with someone so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment