Thursday, May 9, 2013

Seasons

I was grumpy this morning. I am seriously sleep deprived for starters. I was also wondering why -oh my word- is it impossible to just enjoy one cup of coffee...you know while it is still hot. But then I have to calm myself. I am sleep deprived for good reasons. For little precious souls that require my constant attention.

You see I have to remind myself that this is just a season. Someday this season will be over and I won't be sleep deprived. Some day I will have to drag these little people out of bed or --gasp-- some day they won't even be sleeping in the same house as me.

Seasons... I prefer to see them as seasons rather then stages. Stages you have to follow in an order and well - seasons can be in different orders. Some people are in a season where their career is the center of their priority...or their wedding.. or becoming parents. Some people are in a dark rainy season and are just trying to stay afloat. Some people are in a season where they feel lost and lonely and are desperately looking for a new season to begin.

Remember...just as I need to.. that just as the calendar changes and spring turns into summer, summer into fall, and fall into winter... seasons end. Moments become memories. People grow and change. Pain subsides and tears run out.

I had to explain this to my husband recently. After an exhaustive day of a toddler and an infant he asked me if I remember when we could leave and do things spontaneously. Or we could sleep in past 8 am. Or how sometimes others don't understand. I get invitations to go have a drink, see a movie or a concert...and as much as I want to I can't. Either because I didn't get advanced notice or if I did get advanced notice then something happens that makes me unable to go at the last minute. Those people doing the inviting are usually in a different season than I am.

So I'm going to enjoy my current season..even when I am constantly wiping noses..and butts for that matter. Even when I am groggy trying to keep my eyes awake while flipping pancakes. Because my current season is so much more than that. My current season is a defining one of my life...



Enjoy your current season if it is a pleasant one...keep up hope if it is a rainy one...

No comments:

Post a Comment