Thursday, September 8, 2011

I am thankful...

On Monday we had a situation where there was a fire near our home. It was by no means as horrific as the major wildfires that are going on in the state but it was enough to make us leave our home for the night. In the late afternoon the three of us decided to take a nap. At some point of our nap there was loud knocking at our door. Our neighbor was wanting to warn us of a fire that was taking place a cul de sac over. He thought it was a house on fire. My first thought was that I hope everyone in the home was safe but then it was also a small fear that the fire would spread quickly because of the dry conditions. My husband took a quick drive over only to find that it wasn't a house it was actually some brush that was on fire behind our development. That is when we became more nervous because those spread much more quickly. Looking out our window, I saw that most of our neighbors were leaving. Better be safe then sorry. We would leave too.

I then went through the house to grab some items. I thought oh we just need some things for an overnight stay somewhere. My son's items-diapers, a few outfits, a few toys, maybe some snacks. An outfit for myself and my husband. Some toiletries. But then I thought, wow what if the fire were to really reach us. I don't want to lose my home! I love my house. There is so many things inside my home that I wouldn't want to be left behind. Our important documents, loads of pictures, and some material things. Then there was all of N's things. His outfit he came home in, his locks of hair from his first haircut, his baptism outfit, all the recorded videos we have of him so far. I said a prayer but left all of those things behind. 

Some time in the middle of the night the fire was contained and fortunately no homes were damaged. I don't think that the situation was ever that serious. We probably all took a little too much precaution. But the situation got me thinking. First off I need to have all of our important documents in one place easy to grab should we ever have to leave in an emergency. Beside that though, it was a reminder to not concentrate on the physical, material items. All though my heart would hurt to lose some of those things, they are just material. I need to be thankful for all the memories and moments I have. Those that will be stored in my memory. From the large moments of meeting my husband, our first kiss, and our wedding.
This is us in high school!

My son from my pregnancy to the present. Feeling him inside of me, holding him for the first time. I need to be thankful for our health and the fact that we have each other. 



eight months pregnant

He sure loves his daddy!

This Thursday, I am thankful for my family. I get to wake up to next to the most amazing husband. I get to cuddle and play with my son. I get to see my son squeal in delight when his daddy gets home from work and rushes to crawl over to him. I am thankful I get to be a daughter, a sister, a wife, and a mommy. Those are the things to concentrate on. 


I am grateful that our home is okay and my prayers are with all of the families whose homes were lost throughout the state's fires
.

No comments:

Post a Comment