Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Count your blessings...

I was having a conversation with an older gentleman the other day. It was a man that I had recently met and didn't know very well. The conversation took us to where he felt comfortable enough to ask me about my pregnancy and my family. So my response talked about my marriage, the fact that I have a little man already and am a little over half way through until I meet my next little man. I then felt comfortable enough to ask about him and his family situation.

With sadness in his tone and sadness in his eyes he stated that his wife and him were never blessed with children. He went into a little more detail about how they had struggled with years of infertility. Then they attempted the adoption route and well that never happened for various reasons either. He explained that they both have large families so had always assumed that they would too. He went on to explain that although it took them awhile... they had come to terms that it just wasn't in their path to have children... they had faith that it happened like that for a reason. They had to accept that God wanted something else for them. He stated that they have lots of nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews that they have got to experience some of the magic that children are.

Now I am fully aware that not everyone wants children, or considers children as a must have in their life. Not everyone wants to go down the path of raising children. I get that. I respect that. But for me... for us.. having children was something that we assumed would happen for us. It was something that we always talked about and just include in plans for the future. 

So for me to hear the longing in this man's heart made me take a moment to sit back and appreciate the blessings I have.  I am married to a wonderful husband and father... while some don't ever get to experience a love like that. I am a mother to a handsome healthy little man... with another son on the way who I can only pray is just as healthy. I have got to experience the magic of the experience of pregnancy while so many others will never get to carry a baby in the womb.. I have a home to live in.. food to eat.. Now its not about listing all I have because I will assure you.. there are things I don't have.. there are prayers unanswered that I had to accept were unanswered for a reason. Its about counting my blessings..our blessings.. and realizing that while I have bad days like everyone else... while I complain about dumb things...or while I foolishly long for the things that I don't have..don't have yet or may never have... I still have so much...


No comments:

Post a Comment