Monday, May 27, 2013

Time

At church the other day I noticed a family. A mother, father, and two boys. The two boys appeared to be of high school age. They both were already much taller than the mother. I thought to myself that this family could easily be us in 10 plus years...(although I don't know yet if we are stopping at two kids or not). I received a warm smile from the mother as she saw me shushing my toddler and infant while the priest was speaking. Her eyes said "I've been there.."

Similar to that situation I usually get other moms, usually somewhat elderly ladies at restaurants, the  grocery store, other public places look at me with my two little ones and tell me to cherish this time because it goes so fast. They are only this small for such a short time.

Normally that is my thought process. Why is time going so fast? How is my toddler already going to be three? How am I having full on conversations with him? How is my other baby already teething, and getting ready to eat solids, and teaching himself how to travel across the floor? Time is going too fast I always think.

But as I watched that family I reminded myself... time whether traveling slow or fast is not promised to no one. So while I do wish time wouldn't go so fast I need to stop thinking  about the speed of it but rather the promise of it.  That is why I take 50 million pictures of my children. So I can remember when they were this small. when they spoke a certain way, when they had their hair a certain way. So instead of asking time to slow I just ask time to exist. Whether slow or fast bring on life... bring on as many years as  I can get... bring on many Christmases, many birthdays, many summer vacations. Bring on the easy stuff, the kisses and cuddles..bring on the hard stuff, puberty and drivers' licenses. Bring on graduations and college...I need to be at peace with the fact that I truly attempt to enjoy every minute. I no longer care if it goes too fast. I'll take it all at whatever speed I can get it...

One day I hope to look up at my sons as they are grown and look over me....but for now I'll kiss little fingers...and little toes..tell silly stories...and sing silly songs... and enjoy every minute of it....




No comments:

Post a Comment