This is hard for my type A self that always has to find something to do, clean, etc. But I was okay with it because I thought to myself- this is probably my last pregnancy, just enjoy these last few months of feeling him from within and take it easy on my body. Three kids in four years? I think my body deserves a break... But then I thought further...
See in this time frame that I have scaled back and relaxed and rested I have got to enjoy things for myself. I have read two books over the past few weeks. I am a huge reader and normally can get through multiple in a week but haven't had time for that in so long so this was huge. I have gotten to catch up slightly on my scrapbooking (I am only a year and half behind rather than two). I get to go on walks by myself and just think. I love walking and getting workouts in with my boys in tow but my hips and energy can't handle that right now. And you know what? Things still get done, my boys are still taken care of, and my house is still running (even if it is not as clean as normal). This may sound like common sense to some but again for my type A, high strung self this is a big deal. Especially because ever since I became a stay at home mom, I feel guilty sometimes if I am not always doing something.
| these are the books I just finished- both so good! |
But why does this approach have to only take place for the rest of my pregnancy? Why can't I take time time for myself and do things that make my heart happy or things that are good for my soul all the time? Don't get me wrong- I love my boys. I love keeping them busy ...socialized and engaged and learning... I love my everyday with them but I need to take care of myself as well. I say these things as a reminder to myself but really I see it all around. I see or hear of moms that are going crazy because they never get to do something for themselves. They immerse themselves so much in their children that they forget who they are. I am surrounded by some awesome mommies in my life that know the importance of taking time for themselves. They fit in workouts without the kiddos that make them feel good about themselves. They make time for nights out with friends or their spouses. They treat themselves to manicures, pedicures or other relaxing activities just to give their mommy minds a break. I am reminding myself that to be a good mom you have to be a healthy one. And taking care of yourself mind, body, and soul is how to do to it.... I am off to crack open another book and relax!

No comments:
Post a Comment