I have made it very clear in previous posts here and on my social media that my middle son is a handful. I have affectionately called him my wild child because well .. that what he is. But recently.. someone struck a nerve with me and called him stressful in a very negative way.
First I must point out that I have yet to meet a child under the age of two that wasn't stressful. At that age they are toddlers... even the most laid back ones are always into something, keeping you moving, and forcing you to make parenting decisions at every turn.
I have called him this because he is so very different from my first. My first is very laid back (like his daddy). Things were much more easy in terms of what I had to learn as a first time parent. With my middle one, it was like I was having to learn this parenting thing all over again. He challenges me much more. His needs are different then what I am used to. His learning style is different. His eating habits and sleeping habits are different. Heck he was even a different type of nurser from his older brother. I consider him "wild" so to speak because he is a climber. His motor skills are more advanced than his vocabulary skills which is completely opposite from my oldest. Because of this he climbs, jumps, rolls under, on top of etc to find things or to learn or to satisfy his curiosity. Where big brother is and always has been much more cautious, he throws caution to the wind a whole bunch.
He also needs me in a different way. That is just his personality. He clings and is shy in certain settings. I am his comfort the majority of the time where as at this age big brother was able to also find comfort in daddy or grandma or other loved ones. Just because he is so different from big brother doesn't mean that I love him any different or less. And all of this isn't to say that big brother is so "easy". I have my battles and obstacles with him too. I have just had to adjust my parenting style to reflect each individual child to meet their needs. Is it hard? yes.. Is it overwhelming or stressful? of course...
But my hope in all of this is.. that every parent realizes that each child is different. What works for one may not work for the other. Keep it in mind through various ages and stages of their developments. The same goes with teachers. With my oldest starting school soon I am very nervous about the kind of teacher he will get. Some teachers already understand this and adjust and adapt to each child but unfortunately some don't. So overall it is just a reminder.
And to my middle son... thank you for challenging me and making me a better person. I wouldn't change one thing about you.."stressful" or not. Mama loves you <3

Well said!
ReplyDelete