We celebrated my brother's birthday...his fourth one in heaven. A few weeks later then marked the anniversary of his passing. A time frame that is oh so very difficult to get through. Every year I always tell myself that they are just dates on the calendar. Every day without him hurts just the same so the calendar shouldn't be such a big deal. But no matter how hard I try, those days are just there as glaring cruel reminders. I know it sounds crazy...but sometimes I have to admit that it still doesn't feel real to me. It's like my heart just sets up this notion in my head that he's away at school or a job in another state. A coping mechanism I guess. But then his birthday comes and he's not there to call. It all is just very hard and sad. I could go into some of my thoughts and feelings regarding my faith and how unfair it all is. There is so much to say ...to think...to feel... but bottom line is... I miss him so very much.
Everyone is gearing up for back to school. The stores are bustling with back to school shopping and rolling out fall and Halloween seasonal items. I love it. This time of year though is when I have difficulty with the weather where I live. My mind has checked out of summer thinking and living soon after my birthday. I am ready to be done with the swimsuits...and endless bugs...and sweating for everything. And with all the talk about autumn and the seasons changing everywhere else, Texas is just starting the hottest part of the year. You walk outside into a thick layer of humidity and some days spending any time outside is just not doable. Some days we just choose to stay inside, curtains drawn to keep it cooler, and entertain ourselves with puzzles, movies, and crafts. When I get into my van and the temp reads over 110... no thank you.
But overall we have had a wonderful summer. I always get a happy yearning this time of year looking forward to the second half of the year. Is it time for pumpkin spice yet? ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment