Friday, January 18, 2019

Be You

This past weekend I posted a picture of one of my middle son's on social media in his Sunday best. I captioned it with a statement about how I could easily post the picture portraying a picture perfect Sunday morning at mass. But the reality was not that. Most Sundays are pleasant but taking all the littles to mass is usually a rough go around no matter how good the day is. That sentiment has been on my mind all week. Reality versus fake and whose life are people really living.

It is the beginning of the year so everyone has been making resolutions, changes, setting goals, focusing on better living overall. I think that is awesome. Some of what I have heard and seen is truly an inspiration. Everyone should strive to be better versions of themselves and live with great intention the life they are destined for. But that is the point... people should be living life as themselves and if they have goals to become a better version then great... but the goal shouldn't be to live life as someone else.

I see it all around...on social media and in everyday life. People that are trying to be someone else. Social media is contributing to this for sure. But in general, the blatant fakeness that is thrown around is disappointing. People that are portraying themselves as one way to gain friendships or relationships and then wondering why they never last. People abandoning their morals and values. People straight out lying and contributing to gossip to fit in or keep up with appearances. I have seen people that post things of their children completely lying or making up things they did in order to get a wow factor.

I can be guilty of it too. I have many insecurities. I have many short comings. Some people may think I like to portray a perfect life on social media because I only chose to show the high light reels and don't share much of the hard or not so perfect days. But being fake just isn't for me.

I have been inspired by people around me in the past to maybe try something new,  read a particular book, or watch a particular movie, try a new restaurant just to name a few. Some of the time it works out and other times it just wasn't for me. I'm not ever scared to admit that if it isn't for me then I'm okay with that even if it a big deal for others. It isn't about fitting in.


You do you. I will always do what makes my family and I happy. Some people may agree or disagree. And that is okay... not everyone has to love us or care about us and we sure are thankful for the ones that do. I am trying to teach my kiddos to always be true to themselves, celebrate the awesome individual person they are...some adults need to get the memo too...

No comments:

Post a Comment