Today I was reflecting on the art of being naive. I know it sounds funny but there were a few things I came across today that I thought "wow how naive was i?"
I think looking back and being able to recognize these things are a positive sign of growth and maturity. Other times it just makes me laugh.
Some examples include (don't judge me):
When I got married, I was determined not to be one of those persons that gained weight just from being comfortable now. Yeah that didn't happen. Definitely gained a few but I learned from it. It just becomes so easy to be in that honeymoon stage of the relationship and enjoy dinners, drinks, desserts, etc. Not to say that it happens to everyone. I know many couples that work out and stay at it and never fall into the trap. Its all about learning and finding what works for you.
When we were shopping for a house I remember thinking how excited I was to decorate and have everything all perfect and in place all the time. I just couldn't understand how people were so "lazy" and did not take pride in their homes. Now I know that life happens. Don't get me wrong, I do take pride in my home and love to decorate and show it off but there are some weeks where our bed only gets made once or twice a week. Some weeks mowing the lawn falls lower on our priority lists. And some nights, gasp!, I fall asleep with some dirty dishes in the sink. Again its all about learning and management.
Another one about my house was the silly thought that carpet could be kept clean. Trust me I exhausted all efforts, but with pets, now a child, and a husband that likes red drinks it has become near impossible.
Most of my naive moments came when I found out I was going to be a mom.
I thought when I have my child, he will hardly ever watch tv. I definitely do limit tv time and there are some cartoons and things that I would absolutely not let him watch.. but the tv is a major staple in our home. On fall weekends it is on constantly for college and NFL games. So he will catch the games and also gains interest in certain commercials. He does have a few shows he "watches". He love Sesame Street and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. And hey if it helps me keep him entertained while I get breakfast ready or fold some laundry then so be it. Again it is about finding balance. We include plenty of other things in our day too.
So I had a friend that was a stay at home mom that wanted to get a cleaning lady. I thought wow really what do you do all day? Well now I know. What I would give for someone to come clean my bathrooms! I get almost all of my cleaning done with out a problem but bathrooms and mopping are tough when you have a little one crawling everywhere and wanting to climb in the bleach filled tub! I don't think I would ever give into the expense of a cleaning lady but I will watch my thoughts now.
My list can go on but I'll stop there. Silly me...
No comments:
Post a Comment