I am the provider and protector for my son. I have to teach him right from wrong, manners, and everyday things. There are a long list of things I hope to teach him as he grows up and can only hope that I do somethings right along the way.
A year into his life though I have found that I have learned so many things from him. Without realizing it he has taught me. Becoming a mom has opened my eyes and my heart.
| I found this on Pinterest! So true! |
My son wakes up when he is ready to wake up. Sometimes its just as dawn is breaking, sometimes it past 9. He doesn't lay there and complain about having to get up. He wakes up and is ready to learn, to explore, and of course to play! Now I know this will change as he gets older and I am having to bribe him out of bed in the morning for school but I have grown to appreciate his enthusiasm of a new day. I have a saying I say when we get up, a prayer of some sort "Thank you Lord for another day, another day to eat, laugh, sleep, and play." I used to complain about the lack of sleep. I used to wonder if there was enough coffee to get me through the day. But now I take his little toddler approach to each day and apply it to myself. Be grateful for another morning of life. Look forward to what the day will bring. Sleep is overrated anyways right?
Now this one may sound as an excuse but it really isn't. Leave the housecleaning for another time! At this age he simply doesn't let me clean the way I would like to. I am having to tiptoe around while he is napping in order to get anything done. Don't clean, play! If I'm attempting to clean the kitchen, he'll join me in there and empty my cupboards, bang on some pots and pans, or make a mess with his magnets. He doesn't get that the dishes need to be washed he wants me to play too. He'll tug at me until I sit on the floor with him. So I sit on the floor and play. With a child that young, my house is never going to be as immaculate as I would like it to be. As long as do a little here and a little there and have my home liveable then I need to sit and play. There will come a day when he doesn't want to play with mommy.
Sing! And Dance! It makes you feel better. Now before my son, I admit I would sing along to the radio in my car. I have never really been a sing in the shower type of person. Dancing? Now that's his father's thing. This kid will dance to anything! The radio, commercials, toys that play music, you name it. Recently he has also started "singing". He will babble with a tune now along to songs that I have always sang to him. It makes him so happy and melts my heart at the same time. So I dance with him and I sing with him. No matter what stress is on my mind it always makes me feel better.
| also found on Pinterest! |
Patience-So I had worked in customer service in different forms for a while. I dealt with so many people and was just amazed at people in how they could be rude, ignorant, mean, and evil. I lost patience for people in general because I just couldn't understand it. I always thought to myself that I had patience for children though. They didn't know better. My son has taught me so much more though. He is learning new things everyday. As long as its not dangerous to him he wants to try it himself. He wants to touch it, feel it, smell it, etc. And I need to let him. Sure I can grab the food and cut it into tiny pieces and feed it to him directly. But how will he learn. Now feedings take twice as long because he wants to grab it, he wants to use the spoon, he wants to feed himself. I can read through the book at story time and he will listen but he wants to explore all the pictures. He wants to look at all the details and try to figure out what he is looking at. I have to wait and allow him to do so. Its the little things that I just have to sit back and wait on.
As he gets older he will continue to teach me. I look forward to us learning together. One thing I learned since day one though is everything I thought I knew about parenting, everything the books try to teach you doesn't compare to the real thing. Your days, your life will never be the same....neither will your heart.
That's beautiful! We sometimes forget about the little things, but the little things are what matters to them and what they will remember. We take for granted the time we should be spending with them.
ReplyDelete