When I was a child, I knew what home was. My parents had instilled in my mind what home was, the same way I will do with my son. Not only was it an actual physical building that provided me shelter but it was a feeling. A feeling of being safe, content, and loved. I had to learn my address and when I was real little always remember that my home was the second one from the left.
When I first moved out of my parents house and to a different city, it was still considered home. I would say I was visiting home for the holidays or was going home for the weekend. Then I moved in with my now husband and together we started building a home of our own. Its a place where you are comfortable and happy. As we built our home whether it was in our first apartment, the townhome, or now our house of course it was about the decor, and the functionality of it. But it was also about what made it ours.
When does your concept of home change from the one your grew up in to the one now? This past weekend I visited my hometown while my husband jetted off to New York for a Buffalo game. My little man and I slept in my old room. Of course I am still comfortable at my parents home but it is so much different now. I missed my husband sleeping next to me. My son missed his dad.
When we came back I put my son in the car and asked "are you ready to go home?". We pulled up in our driveway and as soon as our garage door opened my son was giddy with excitement. He had fun in my home town but was so glad to be home. He walked from room to room inspecting everything. He was looking for his dad who wasn't home yet. He had to touch all his toys to make sure they all worked. Then he laid down in the middle of the living room with his arms spread out wide and a huge smile on his face. It was terribly adorable.
No comments:
Post a Comment