Monday, December 5, 2011

What I want for Christmas....

So I am a huge fan of Christmas music. I am proud to admit that too. I have no shame. I came across a song on one of my many Christmas cds titled My Grown Up Christmas Wish. I didn't do the research on where the song originated but I listened to the version by Kelly Clarkson. It is such a beautiful song (link to the lyrics here) and it got me thinking.

As a child I remember it being about the presents. I did understand the reason for Christmas and what the holiday is for but it still came down to what was under the tree. I would get excited for the Toys R Us toy book and write my list out. Then as I grew older it was my chance for me to ask my parents for things I wouldn't be able to ask for the rest of the year. My family had certain traditions ranging from what we would eat, to baking, to decorating a certain way. We would usually attend church and visit and spend time with family. I loved it.

Now that I have my own child there are certain things I want for him too. I do want him to get excited for presents and have certain traditions. I do want him to find delight in decorating, writing Santa his letter, and enjoying the presence of family. I also want him to understand the true reason behind Christmas and of course when he is of age know the exact story. I want there to be a healthy balance. I know of parents that are too extreme. They either completely let their children focus only on the receiving end of it and never teach them the definition of the holiday. Then there are others who are on the opposite end and don't let their children in on any Christmas magic and focus only on the story behind it. I even knew of a girl who had her young son tell his class mates at school the truth about Santa just to prove a point that Christmas is more than that and to convey a message that it is wrong to celebrate Christmas with the idea of receiving gifts. 

Although sometimes I joke about my list that I am going to send Santa including things like a shopping spree or a new car I sincerely have a grown up Christmas list..

I ask that my son grows and thrives into a wonderful man and that he always knows that he is so very loved. I want him to experience all the wonderful things of childhood and all the simplicities of the magic of Christmas from the presents, the sparkling of the lights, and the family and food that we hope to have a tradition of. I want him to feel and understand the importance of giving as well. I want him to at some point understand the story of Christmas, choose his faith and always carry it with him.

I ask that the ill people in both mine and my husbands family heal, that they don't suffer and that they have peace in their hearts. 

I ask that I be blessed with many more years to be a mom and a wife. These two roles I hold near and dear to my heart and rejoice in every day that I get to do it. 

I ask that the economy improves. Many people are suffering and are living with difficult situations. Send some relief somewhere.

I ask that for those that have lost their way or don't know which path to choose that they have faith in the good of the world and that what is meant to be will always find a way. 

And finally I ask that my husband always knows and understands what he is to me and for me. I hope he knows that I love him with everything I am and thank him for the person he is. 

My grown up Christmas list sounds as more of a prayer list and I'm ok with that. Materialistic things help us celebrate but after all of that it should be about what is in your heart and what you believe in.

1 comment:

  1. I have just found your lovely blog through your host blog hop wonderful to join in. I'm now following you hope you visit me and follow back so nice to find new friends to catch up with. Have a great day.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete