Saturday, January 7, 2012

Some marriage thoughts...

So one of my gifts to my husband for Christmas was a gift certificate to get a tattoo. He already has tattoos and they are all meaningful in their own way. This is not an arguments on tattoos and why we believe its okay to get them. This particular tattoo gives me something different to argue about. 

This is the tattoo:

We had decided a while back that we wanted matching tattoos that represent our relationship and marriage. He chose to get this one with his gift card and I will be getting mine as soon as I am able to. 


Now getting a tattoo with a spouse's name is something that can be scary. With divorce rates where they are at I understand why some would not agree with getting them. But if you like tattoos and are one to get some then what is wrong with committing to a tattoo that is forever that represents a union that is supposed to be forever?

This is where I am saddened. I mentioned in one of my weekly random posts about an article that stated that marriage rates are at an all time low. More people are simply choosing to coexist in the same household and bring children into the world without ever committing to marriage. 

Then there is the flip side where people are getting married for the wrong reasons knowing full well early on that the marriage doesn't have an excellence chance for survival. They like the idea of marriage so want to try it out for awhile.

I do also understand that marriage is not for everyone. They know that they cannot be committed to one person the rest of their lives. There are also some that fear marriage or simply don't respect it either. 

With all of that in mind I just don't get how marriage doesn't hold the same sacredness it used to. Marriage is supposed to be forever. It is supposed to be a magical union where you commit to someone for the rest of your life through good, bad, and ugly.

Not to say that I think divorce is wrong. I know that there are very valid reasons to get a divorce and move on. I also believe that some people give up to soon. Again there is the flipside where people stay married for the wrong reasons too.

The point of the matter is that marriage shouldn't be taken lightly. It is a beautiful experience. People should really think about what is important to them and what they value when they enter into one or choose to dissolve one.I don't have many years under my belt as far as marriage experience but I do know that my marriage is special and if ever there comes a time where our marriage is in question I will fight like hell for it.

My husband got a tattoo that represents our union. His body will forever be inked by the idea of me. We entered our marriage believing that it would be forever. He believes in forever and so do I. I wish more people did too...

This is my forever...


No comments:

Post a Comment