Saturday, December 29, 2012

What 2012 taught me

With New Years days away I am sure that everyone is thinking about their resolutions and goals and changes they plan to make as they ring in 2013 and say goodbye to 2012. I too have certain things planned for as far as goals and resolutions for the year to come. But before I do that I want to reflect on 2012.

Normally I am all about leaving the past in the past and just focusing on the future. No sense in focusing on a past you can't change or things already said and done right? Well this year is a little bit different. 2012 was probably one of the most challenging and life altering years of my life. I want to take a moment to reflect on the year and what it taught me. Things that will stay with me as I venture into the new year..

-first and foremost... as cliché as it sounds or as repetitive as it may be...tomorrow is promised to NO ONE. This fact alone should make you think twice about your actions. Think twice about people you let in and out of your life. Think twice about people you hurt. And think twice about what and who you choose to put up with.

--Cancer and disease do not discriminate. Stay on top of your health and body and try to get your loved ones to do so too... and if it is too late for some then revert back to above about tomorrow not being promised to no one.

--A child is the greatest blessing in life. Cherish your children and love them and put them first. Remember there are people who lose their children daily... people who miscarry...people who can't get pregnant at all... people whose children are taken from them by actions of others.

--Remember that life is not a competition. It shouldn't matter what others think about you. Don't compare your relationship, your children, your job, your lifestyle to others. Be who you are...do what makes you happy and surround yourselves with people that only add to your happiness.

--choose to have faith in something or someone because there are going to be moments in life when your faith is the only thing that is going to get you through the day and help you continue on

-learn the value of acceptance... there are always going to be things that you simply cannot change.. people that will not change..circumstances or situations that will not change. Learn to accept it...choose to deal with it or move on.

--choose to be happy.. life happens and that means that bad and or sad things are going to happen. Don't let it define your life or the person you are. Choose to be happy because even when sometimes it doesn't feel like it.. there is good in the world... there are reasons to smile..there are reasons to hold on to hope

--And last but not least.. count your blessings. Even in a year that has pulled me in many directions, at the end of the day I have so much to be thankful for. I recognize that I have "big" things to be thankful for... two healthy children..a wonderful marriage..etc but sometimes it is looking at the bigger picture.. be grateful you woke up today..you had food on the table.. whatever it may be..

I sincerely thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers about our newest arrival. I hope you have a wonderful, healthy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment