Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A birthday...

Every time my children turn a certain age they go for a well visit. Their growth is measured and tracked as far as height and weight go. Are they hitting milestones? talking? socializing? learning? As an adult we don't get this. Sure we should still be visiting the doctor, making sure our health is kept up. But the doctor doesn't ask us about our milestones anymore. We don't get asked what and how we are learning.
This past week I celebrated my 28th birthday. 28...I remember when 30 seemed so far away and now it is right around the corner. Have I gotten taller? No...Has my weight changed? well yeah seeing as I have had two kids in three years. Am I hitting my milestones? Well I hope so. See there isn't a book or a guide that a doctor has to give you or a checklist to run down. But I am still learning. I make mistakes. I always will-no one ever lives a perfect life. But I learn from them. I make every effort to not make the same mistake multiple times. I make an attempt to nurture my life. I put tons of energy into enjoying my many blessings. One thing I have learned each year is that I can't take things for granted...that is, I think, a big adult milestone. To learn not to take things for granted. Life is ever changing and the simple things and or people that make life-life may not be here tomorrow.

So this year as I watched the calendar change to show that indeed I am another year older I look around the room. A baby is chewing on a teether next to me, a toddler is dancing around the floor. A husband is off reading his sports articles. It is all so simple. But I am thankful. Thankful for the simple. Thankful for another year that I get to be a mother and a wife. Thankful that I am surrounded by love. I do not want to make it seem like life is just always roses and sunshine because well that would be a lie. But throughout these 28 years of life I have learned and will always need to work on seeing the big picture. At the end of each day-some that are harder than others I want to know I made every effort in enjoying life, enjoying and and nurturing my marriage, enjoying and nurturing my children. Some days I will fail in one or more areas. But the next day I will wake up thankful for another day and try it all over again. I will continue to learn, and grow, and make efforts to take care of myself, mind and body.



To everyone that sent birthday wishes- I thank you. I enjoyed the day with my little family and that is the best birthday present I could ever and always ask for.


No comments:

Post a Comment