Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Maybe it's a little bit more..

The other night we were out at a store.. Kohl's to be exact.. they have some pretty awesome sales going on so we were able to pick up some Christmas gifts. There was a pretty lengthy line to check out. A woman who was in this line got real impatient and started complaining about the line and being extremely rude to the cashiers yelling at them in front of everyone about how long it was taking and that "she didn't feel like being there all night". Having worked in customer service for many years, those type of people usually get under my skin.. Hearing her.. sure I was annoyed but I felt sorry for her too.. Why do people need to get like that? It is usually around the holidays that people are just rushing all around...too focused on material gifts .. and not making time for what is important...

I am guilty of all of the above.. I over schedule things ..commit to different projects.. get caught up in the shopping because my boys just NEED everything ..and then still want to bake and cook and entertain... I just end up getting stressed out and well there really is no reason to.. Especially with the gifts portion. I come up with a list of what the boys want/need and attempt to stay on budget. But then at the store I see things that ooh he would just love.. or sales that seem too good to pass up... This year I am trying to be different...

The memories I have of Christmas pasts and when I was a child had nothing to do with the material things I got.. Sure there are a few gifts that stuck in my head as special.. but it was the memories of traditions.. the fact that we baked cookies every year.. or when I was real small how we crammed 50 people into my great grandma's tiny apartment to be together.. I want that for my children.. for my family.. traditions and memories and experiences without so much focus on the gift portion. Sure picking out a gift and giving it to a loved one is a good experience.. don't get me wrong.. but no need to go overboard and focus only on that..

Celebrating this year without my brother is difficult.. Losing him has brought all of this into perspective... the material things just don't matter..

So I guess this is just a reminder.. to slow down.. enjoy the little things because those little things really are the big things.. be kind..laugh.. enjoy yourself.. and experience.. not just around the holidays-all the time.. but since it is the holiday season.. remember the reason for the season...


No comments:

Post a Comment