Wednesday, December 18, 2013

When no one is looking....

These past few days I have been working extra and taking advantage of the hubby being off. So while I work he will take the kiddos upstairs to let me work. Every so often I will pause and just listen to them. I wonder how they act while momma isn't around. My heart melts when I hear the older one say or do something sweet to the little one. Sometimes he isn't being so kind and then I get to hear my hubby step in when appropriate. I also get to hear the hubby be all cute and play and interact. It is just a different experience when they don't think I am around or listening.

That got me thinking about us as adults. How do I act when no is around... that is really when it counts right? That is your true self. And that is the awesome thing... you find out who your true friends are.. who your loved ones are that love you at your true self.

I bring this up because I witness it every day. Some people put on acts to try to forge friendships or relationships. I hear or witness women that try to pretend to be someone they aren't for the purpose of having a boyfriend or husband. I see married people put on acts of a happy marriage for various reasons when behind closed doors they are miserable. I see moms that put on an act of having it "all together" when they are dealing with an internal struggle. And of course there is social media... there are some that don't hold back and tweet, facebook, and instagram every detail of their lives both good and bad. There are others that want to put on an appearance -again for various reasons- and only post the good, clean, edited pictures portraying a happy perfect existence while real life is far from that.

I am by no means saying that everyone does this.. but for those that do why? Why not make life easier by surrounding yourself with people who love you for the real you? Surround yourself with friends and family that know all your flaws but love you anyway..

I am by no means saying I am not guilty of any of the above.. but I do know that over the past few years I have been forcefully reminded that life is too short.. As I got older I have learned that quantity of friends isn't nearly important as quality. I have learned that there is no good reason to waste time with people with whom you can't be yourself ..more importantly it becomes too exhausting to be someone you aren't...  When I hear my boys and how they act when momma isn't around makes me wish more adults could be like that... makes me strive to be more like that.. who are you when no one is looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment