Wednesday, December 3, 2014

On Comparison


I'm sure you have heard the term "comparison is the thief of joy". This concept has been on my mind lately. I'm guilty of comparing myselves to others as hard as I try not to. The holiday season I believe amps up this concept. I am making such a conscience effort not to fall into this trap.

Social media plays a huge part in this. People post their beautiful pictures, share their wonderful news, and give excerpts of their awesomeness. It is so incredibly difficult not to compare... Not to be envious or jealous. Then you question yourself, your life, and wonder if something is wrong. Not everyone does this... I do know of many that are able to stay confident and positive and not participate in the silliness of comparing. 

Around Christmas time when everyone is posting or talking about their fabulous decor...gifts they are giving or receiving..pictures of their adorable children or families. One that always gets me is when people post pictures of their travels. I am one that would love to travel more often, especially in the winter so I could flock to snow covered land. In our current situation a whole bunch of travel is not in the cards for us. Traveling with three kids is expensive and hard. 

I do it in real life too. Every time I see a cute pregnant lady that looks so petite and cute I wonder why I couldn't get the body type to not get ginormous during pregnancy. Or like the other day at the grocery store I saw a woman with a baby that was close to age as mine. And yet she looked as skinny and fit as a person that has never birthed a baby. See how easy it is?

Then there are other times where I catch people comparing themselves to me. They think I'm lucky and blessed to have my sons.. My husband.. Etc. and I am very lucky and blessed but they shouldn't short change themselves or their lives in comparison. 

So how do we put an end to it? I think jealousy and envy are natural feelings and to some degree we all will feel it. But we need to control it.. Reign it in and remember a few things. As far as social media goes.. Remember most people only post their good awesome moments and not their bad, sad, or scary. Remember that God has a different path and plan for everyone and that you are at where you are at for a reason and a purpose. Remember that it is more important to count your blessings and be thankful rather than count and focus on others and their blessings and their happenings. Try and make a conscience effort to be comfortable in your own skin. Make changes to improve your situation, your life, and don't try to be someone you are not or compete with the unattainable. 

I've come a long way in my efforts. I have to some degree accepted that I will never have a particular body type. No matter how much weight I lose I will still not look like some. No matter the excercises I do there are parts of my body forever changed by pregnancy. I have accepted that I am a boy mom, something I absolutely love and wouldn't change. Princesses and tutus are not in my future. The list could go on.. There is always something... But I'm learning and counting my blessings every day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment