Sunday, June 21, 2015

Road Trippin

Over the past few years I have gotten a serious case of wanderlust. I want to travel and see all the things and places. I want to experience the mountains.. and the beaches.. and the beautiful cities and country sides. Social media doesn't help my cause because I see the pictures that people post of their travels and  it just makes it worse. But my sudden onslaught of wanderlust happening in the same time frame of me having children doesn't work out well with each other. Traveling with all these kiddos is exhausting and expensive. So I had to reign in my dreams on all of this and take a different approach.

I want to give my boys travel experiences while not going broke. For us that means that we will be road tripping everywhere at least for the next few years because flying with impatient toddlers and babies.. and carseats.. and the fact that we don't have a money tree growing in our back yard ..well its just not an option for us. So driving and finding fun stuff to do.. places to eat.. etc. is what we shall do. Oldest dude is getting to the age where he will carry memories with him and to me that is the fun part. Memory making.

So this past  weekend we drove up to see some wonderful family in north Texas. We visited the LEGOLAND Discovery Center and did some shopping since it is in a huge outlet mall. I will admit I expected a little more from the Lego place but for what you pay and for the littles it was worth it. I will say.. if you can plan to go during the week you should do so. Weekend crowds were out in full force.

We also attended a Texas Ranger game. They were playing our favorite team- the Dodgers. Some people gave us the side eye when we showed up with three littles in tow but in our opinion .. if you don't start taking them young then they will never get used to it. We did this same approach with church..the movies.. etc and has worked out great for our family. (I do realize this method wont work with all children)  Oldest dude just finished his tball season so baseball was still fresh on his mind. But he was conflicted. He wanted to go for the Dodgers like his mom and dad but is starting to lean towards being a Ranger fan. We let him know he can like whichever team he wants and doesn't have to follow us. He ended up wearing a Dodger shirt with a Ranger hat. The younger boys attention of course didn't stay throughout the whole thing but I was armed with snacks and small toys. Dodgers ended up losing the game but we still had a blast.


We also did some local things where we enjoyed some restaurants and a bowling place. We do have a rule when we go out of town and look for places to eat.. we try not to do chain restaurants and try something new to us in which ever city we are in. Yelp is our best friend ...we use to it find local restaurants and read reviews. We also spent some time by the pool and also attended a family birthday party. It wasn't anything big time or major but the boys had fun and were exhausted. Looking forward to more of these types of trips. Thankful for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment