Littlest dude is pulling up and standing now. While I am always grateful that my kids are healthy and reaching the milestones like these, this phase always make nervous. It like once they learn how to stand and walk they get this new found confidence. Standing? walking? nope not enough.. lets climb.. waddle over to the tiled floor.. get on top of something unstable. They have no sense of danger...
Then with my oldest dude.. he's starting another year of preschool. Last year when he went I was a ball of nerves. I wondered if he was too young.. even though he was begging to go. I get worried about this age because it is their first sense of independence. Certain things are expected of them. You never know enough about the teacher.. you are putting your world in their care. And this is the first time they are in the world of school with other kids. And other kids.. well that is some times a hard thing. Other kids can be mean.. more mature.. or less mature.. and if navigating the social world for an adult can be complicated.. well its the same for these little people. More cause for concern..
Then there is middle dude.. he is in a world where he just opened up the lines of communication in his little mind. He wants so desperately to keep up with big brother but for many things his mind and body aren't ready yet.. and then he has a younger brother... one who takes his mom and dad's attention away sometimes.. one who looks like fun to play with but can't keep up with him. He is in the middle.. and that is a very emotional and confusing thing...
Now I know that I have a tendency to over think.. and over worry and not everyone carries these burdens.. but it is there somewhere in every parents heart. Parenting is a hard thing. It is more than feeding and changing.. and playdates.. and naps.. It is more than the fun and easy things. It is about the hard things.. and the molding that you have to do for these little minds. It is about finding the balance with my little one and giving him enough space to explore and learn with his new found physical freedom while still being on hand to protect. It is about having the talks and learning experiences with my oldest so he has the confidence to deal with the mean teacher or the mean kids.. or for that matter prevent him from being one of those mean kids. And with my middle dude.. it is about getting on his level.. on his terms while he navigates his dealings.. and confusion.
I am no professional on parenting.. but through three kids I can definitely say that I have learned a thing or two.. And that is what it is all about... learning and navigating.. and doing the best you can.. I have to remind myself of these things sometimes. At the end of the day.. hard day or "easy".. I collapse into bed exhausted and questioning myself.. But I am doing the best I can... and for the most part.. I think we all are....




No comments:
Post a Comment